The Pocket hails from Katadyn’s Endurance series, a high-quality line of filters that produce up to 100 times more water than standard water filters. The Pocket is so tough, in fact, that it’s the first choice for extreme adventurers like Mike Horn. Plus, it’s the only water filter with a 20-year warranty. Other features include a measuring gauge that indicates when you should change the filtering element, a cushioned base that makes it easy to pump on all surfaces, a prefilter, and a carrying bag.
Why Water Filtration Is Important
The World Health Organization (WHO) attributes 80 percent of all travel diseases to contaminated drinking water. Drinking water contains three groups of pathogenic microorganisms: viruses, such as hepatitis A, Norwalk virus, or poliovirus; bacteria, like e-coli, salmonella, and cholera; and protozoans, such as giardia and cryptosporidium. Tap water and ice cubes are usually the culprits when traveling, but even bottled water can be questionable. The backcountry is also a source of waterborne illness. A pristine stream may be safe one day and contaminated the next, as microorganisms stemming from human and animal waste are typically spread by rain and runoff. As a result, the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends treating water from every source in the backcountry.
- Usage: 1 to 4 people
- Capacity: 13,000 gallons
- Dimensions: 2.4 by 10 inches
- Output: 1 quart per minute
- Technology: 0.2-micron ceramic depth filter (cleanable)
- Weight: 20 ounces
The Switzerland-based Katadyn has been producing high-quality portable water systems since 1928. Katadyn products are used by militaries, health organizations, and outdoor adventurers worldwide, making it the global leader in portable water treatment. With subsidiaries in the U.S., Germany, France, and Singapore, Katadyn products are used wherever safe drinking water isn’t available, whether for travel, camping, or humanitarian applications.
- Removable filter protector extends cartridge life in challenging conditions
- Quick connect fittings make installation and removal of input and output hoses easy
- Allows direct attachment to drink tube (1/4″ ID) of hydration
- Additional hydration connector fitting for quick filling of hydration packs
- Long lasting AntiClog pleated cartridge requires no maintenance or cleaning
- Very large filter surface for fast output
- Easy to use because of minimal resistance whilst pumping
- Active carbon core reduces unpleasant tastes and odors from the water
- Small pre-filter on in-hose protects filter cartridge life in turbid water
- Compact design and easy operation–fits in any backpack or travel bag
- Easy Fill Bottle Adaptor attaches directly to a drinking bottle
Activated carbon is used for its ability to reduce harmful organic and inorganic substances in the water. It removes unpleasant tastes, odors, chlorine, pesticides (lindane, DDT) and trihalomethanes (THMs). These substances adhere to the large surface area of the activated carbon. Activated carbon granulate cannot be regenerated.
- Technology: AntiClog Technology with 0.3 micron glassfiber and activated carbon granulate
- Output: ca. 1 liters/minute
- Cartridge Capacity: Up to 750 l (depending on water quality)
- Weight: ca. 310 g
- Size: 7.6 x 16.5 x 6.1 cm (3 x 6.5 x 2.4 inches)
- Includes: Prefilter, bottle adapter and carry bag
Why Treat Water?
A crystal-clear stream or lake usually contains microorganisms that can make you sick. Water contaminants like protozoa, bacteria and viruses, can cause serious illness. Optimize your travel preparation and use a portable drinking water system from Katadyn.
Katadyn of Switzerland has been producing high quality portable water systems since 1928. Their history has been one of innovation and durability. Katadyn products are used by militaries, health organizations and outdoor adventurers world-wide. No other water system provides higher quality or longer lasting performance. Katadyn is the global leader in portable water treatment. With subsidiaries in the United States, Germany, France, and Singapore; Katadyn develops, produces and distributes high quality products which are used whenever safe drinking water isn’t available–for travel, camping and humanitarian operations.
The Lifesaver bottle eliminates the need for iodine tablets, tedious boiling, chemicals, tubes, shaking, scrubbing, waiting, and effort from the water purification process. The bottle uses a long-term use replaceable filter, which can treat about 4,000 liters of water, 5.5 years of usage if you drank two liters of water every day. The bottle has a unique feature, which shuts the filter off when the cartridge has expired so you can get the maximum life out of your filter without the risk of drinking contaminated water.
The Lifesaver Bottle filters out all water-borne pathogens using a filter with holes 15 nanometers across to prevent even the smallest viruses, 25 nanometers across, to cross the filter, eliminating the need for chemicals to treat the water. The Lifesaver Bottle is fitted with a 4000UF replaceable purification cartridge that removes bacteria, viruses, cysts, parasites, fungi, and all other microbiological water-borne pathogens from your water.
The Lifesaver bottle also comes with an activated carbon filter made of a high specification activated carbon block, which reduces a broad spectrum of chemical residues including: pesticides, endocrine disrupting compounds, medical residues, and heavy metals such as lead and copper. The Carbon filter also eliminates bad tastes and odors from contaminates such as chlorine and sulphur. The carbon filter is designed to last for approximately 250 liters.
In addition to the purification cartridge and carbon filter, the Lifesaver Bottle is supplied with a pre-filter disc. The pre-filter disc protects the membranes of the purification cartridge from objects such as gravel, sand, sticks, and mud, prolonging the overall life of the cartridge. Your pre-filter disc may also be used as a sponge to soak up water from those hard to reach areas like cracks in rocks or shallow puddles.
Exceptionally easy to use, the Lifesaver Bottle filters water on demand at the time of collection. Simply unscrew the base, dip the bottle in the nearest water source, and pump the water through the filter to a teat at the other end, purifying up to 750 milliliters of water in just under a minute. The clean water can be drank immediately, directly from the Lifesaver bottle or poured into a separate container for storage. Designed to work at any angle and in any axis, not only are you able to drink from the bottle in any position, but you can also fill mugs, water bottles, pans, and other water storage vessels from any position.
The Lifesaver Bottle utilizes failsafe technology to protect you from drinking contaminated water toward the end of the filter cartridge’s life. As the cartridge approaches the end of its life, the bottle requires a greater number of pumps to induce water to flow. When no more water can be induced to flow despite continuous pumping, the cartridge has expired and it is time to replace it.
The Lifesaver Bottle is designed not to over-pressurize as a safety feature to prevent injury. Over-pumping the bottle will cause the flip lid to bulge. If pumping continues, then the teat will open and release the water and the pressure.
Due to its unique pneumatic action, the Lifesaver Bottle can be used to direct a jet of sanitized water directly onto a wound, cleaning away any other contaminants, allowing for levels of wound irrigation never before possible in the field.
Winner of the “Best Technological Development for Future Soldier System Enhancement” at Soldier Technology 2007, the Lifesaver bottle has earned the trust of the armed forces in delivering safe water anywhere in the world. Tested and approved for use by the United States EPA, the UK Water Compliance Guidelines, and the European Drinking Water Directive Council, the Lifesaver 4000 Ultra Filtration Water Bottle is a portable water purification system that you can rely on.
- Cartridge service rating: 4,000 liters (1,056 U.S. gallons)
- Replaceable activated carbon filter
- Replaceable UF cartridge
- Bacteria retention: >99.999995 % (log 7.5)(2)
- Virus retention: >99.999 % (log5)(3)
- Activated carbon reduces chemical residues including: pesticides, endocrine disrupting compounds, medical residues, and heavy metals
- Bottle storage capacity: 750 milliliters
- Chew-proof, replaceable drinking teat
- Watertight, snap-fit lid
- Cap seal
- Pump tube
- Protective sleeve
- Removable anti-slip base
- Twist lock pump handle
- Removable carry strap
- Dry weight of bottle including cartridge: 635 grams (approximately 22 ounces)
- Minimum operating temperature: >0 degrees Celsius, 32 degrees Fahrenheit
- Maximum operating temperature: 50 degrees Celsius, 122 degrees Fahrenheit
- Minimum storage temperature: -10 degrees Celsius, 14 degrees Fahrenheit
- Maximum storage temperature: 60 degrees Celsius, 140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Initial flow rate: 2.5 liters per minute at 0.25 Bar(1)
- Flow rates and capacity depend on the quality of the feed water
- After first use the product should be protected against freezing
Compliance and Testing Specifications:
- U.S. compliance EPA: U.S. National Primary Drinking Water Regulations under the Safe Drinking Water Act 93-523
- UK compliance: Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2000
- EU compliance: European Drinking Water Directive Council, Directive 98/83/EC
- Tested by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine using Escherichia coli NCTC 10418 in accordance with the Protocol for Microbiological Water Purifiers in accordance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines
- Tested by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine using Poliovirus Type 1 (Sabin vaccine strain) in accordance with the Protocol for Microbiological Water Purifiers in accordance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines
Two-year international limited warranty